Monday, November 9, 2009

If I were Harry Potter

I suppose my name would be Harriet.
Anyhow, I had a dream last night that I was Harry Potter, as in I was me but in his place, Ron and Hermione were my best friends and I went to Hogwarts and sucked up to all the teachers.
So in this particular adventure, I had to solve a lot of clues to save the day once again. So while I was in class (I think it was Maths though, nothing magical) I came across this funny shape (looked like a Heartagram) with some funny writing. I can't remember how I came across it exactly but then the teacher was explaining that sometimes if you can't work something out you have to just study it really really closely so I did and there was some tiny writing about the centre of something.

So I was pretty darn confused but then some kind of image of the recently deceased Dumbledore came and assured me that I had to follow the shape to get to Australia and save the world. McGonagall thought I was making shit up and was maybe going slightly crazy, but went along with it just enough.

I told Ron and Hermione and started packing some things (but all I had to carry stuff was a tiny pouch around my neck. I grabbed a handful of Australian coins I had lying around in my room (since I am from Australia of course) and my wand and that was pretty much it, except we were all wearing thongs so we'd blend in when we got to Australia.

So now I just had to work out how we were supposed to follow this damn signal, until Hermione points to the sky and there it is, made up of stars. So we stood up in the top tower of the school, one with big full length windows, the three of us and McGonagall and the other (maths?) teacher. Watched for a few minutes until I realised that the shape almost lined up perfectly with some old giant building, like a cathedral or something (Hogwarts was in the city by the way), and announced that maybe if we waited a few minutes the shape would line up so it was being poked right in the centre by the tall spire on the building. Once again McGonagall thought I was a bit nuts and didnt see what that could possibly do, when we could just move where we were standing and it would look like it was lined up anyway, but as she was saying that the shape did line up perfectly (from my point of view anyway and I guess I was the important one) and lines formed across the stars lighting it up and emitting a strong glow.

So now it was clear, we had to head for the magical shape and it would provide some kind of portal to Australia. Only problem was, we couldn't take broomsticks because Hermione sucked at riding them.

Not to fear though, the teachers let us in on a little secret; you can fly without a broom or even a wand, all you need to do is strike a match against the wall as you leap out a window and bam off you go.
Seemed logical enough, and she handed us a single match. Of course then I suddenly realised that we were wearing thongs, which would of course fall off my silly bony feet when we started to fly, so I took those off and tucked them under the front of my bra (I NEEDED those for when we got to Australia, it was very important I didn't lose them), and being in a dream and totally fearless struck the match as I leapt out. I think I mustn't have struck it hard enough because I started to drift down very fast but before anyone could notice I struck it again against another wall as I fell past which worked and I could now fly normally. It was pretty fantastic, but when I looked back the other two were freaking out a bit.

While I was hovering around watching them take off, I stupidly dropped my match down deep into what I think might have been the Thames river. When they caught up I asked, hey guys do you think we need those matches to land...I dropped mine...
They seemed to think it'd be fine so we kept flying but we must have accidentally flew through a big open window and landed in someones little office. There was a girl behind the counter filing her nails and looking very comical. Then I suddenly realised that since we had landed I couldnt fly anymore. Dammit now I needed matches....oh well, in true adventure game spirit I engaged the girl in conversation and asked if she had any matches. No of course she didnt.
Okay so now I didnt know what to do, that shape wouldnt stay lit up for much longer surely and we had to get there quick.
Oh wait, no, she DID have a match, but she didnt want to part with it. I said I'd pay her for it, she said three dollars, and I in my excitement said Id give her four fifty (Australian dollars though, dont know why she even accepted it since we were in London). Anyway so I gave her the kangaroo emblazoned cash and she handed me not one match but a masssive fat matchbook full of them, so I was ansolutely delighted.
I pulled one out and tucked the box into the waistbnd of my underwear (didnt want to lose that), but then thinking cleverly took some matches out and put them in the little pouch around my neck instead. The whole matchbook wouldnt fit but now I had plenty of matches anyway.

We left the girl and her office straigh through the window behind her by declaring that we were magicians and would show her a neat trick. She fell for it and was like "WOW how do you do that, that is so cool, I cant even see the wires or anything!"

I ended up flying a bit faster than the other two, but it was very dark now and there were fewer city lights. Thinking very cleverly for someone in a dream though, I pulled out my wand and actually remember that to make light you say "lumos". So now I had a light and could see where I was flying.
I panicked though, I could no longer see the illuminated shape to follow. I yelled out for Hermione, but she could still see it, there had just been a building in the way. We kept flying towards it for what felt like ages, until suddenly we lost it. None of us could see it anymore, but it had still been really really far off. Strangley it also started to become a lot lighter, til it felt like the middle of the day already. It seemed a bit weird but maybe we'd just been flying a lot longer and further than we thought. We stopped flying and hovered for a while discussing what we'd do, maybe she'd have to go all the way back to hogwarts and try again another night and be faster so we didn't lose the shape. The other two kep talking when I looked around and realised the place looked really familiar. I told them, "Hey you guys, um, I think we ARE in Australia. Look at all the trees, and the buildings." It was pretty obvious now that we all looked around, we drifted down to the ground and there were Australian trees and buildings all built around a river surrounded by people wearing thongs. We donned our thongs and pulled off our wizard capes and set off exploring.

I decided we should buy some food, which is about the point where the dream lost the plot and we didnt really try looking for any more clues about saving the world. We did buy hot dogs from a shop (a Wendy's rip off) run by Asians (we were definitely in Australia). We basically ran out of money then but Hermione has brought her credit card (she had rich dentist parents, I didnt, I certainly didnt have a credit card) so she was able to get cash from an international ATM.

Nothing else happened...unfortunately there was no indication of what we had to do in Australia. Oh well I'm sure we would have worked it out, especially since I was Harry Potter (meaning there were now two girls and one boy in the group, so productivity would have tripled).

The End

2 comments:

qw46z said...

Very sad to dream of being Harry Potter. Next time try someone like Christiane Amanpour (even though she is very creepy).

Max California said...

LOL