Tuesday, November 30, 2010

La Dolce Vita

Today was not my birthday. Regardless, a few friends and I went out for dinner to celebrate my birthday. I had a thank you gift in my hand, which gave the impression that it was my birthday, so we ran with that in case we got free things.

We didn't, which should have been the first indication that the restaurant wasn't that brilliant.

La Dolce Vita is a nice looking Italian restaurant on Park Road in Milton. It is situated just below the Eiffel Tower, which (as I'm sure my friends and I were not the first to point out) makes no sense whatsoever. Indication number 2.

The table service was adequate, although we did wait a while for the bill, even after asking at the counter for it. The champagne was fine (for cheapish stuff) and the waitress did suggest getting the bottle rather than glasses because it'd be cheaper, which was nice of her.

The table was on a slight slant, but otherwise nicely painted. Work had gone into those tables, as my friend noted.

The main issue I had with this place was just the food itself. Nothing major really, just the entire point of going out for dinner in the first place. I got the risotto and my friend got the gnocchi, and we had a bite of each other's food; they tasted about the same. It was all kind of bland and didn't even have a garnish, which personally I think is a big mistake for that type of eatery. Nothing tasted bad, it just really wasn't good.

Honestly, if you are going to have an Italian restaurant below a French icon, at least serve good food. Then maybe I could overlook your ignorance of basic geography. But when the lunch I made today (boiled rice with oyster sauce, soy sauce and chilli sauce stirred through it) almost tasted nicer than the meal I paid $30 for, there are no excuses.

My advice is that the chefs should spend the time that they are clearly not spending learning to cook studying geography instead.

1 comment: